Friday, April 30, 2010

WebQuest Reflection

I've come to understand that there is more to teaching than trying to impart knowledge to students. Yes, I want my students to learn, but if I can't inspire and motivate my students, I won't be able to impart anything to them. The key to motivation and inspiration in learning is finding interesting lesson plans that will do more than engage the students in the assigned projects, but to help them to see the real world applications of the material.

In my course area, Literature, it can be all too easy for students to think, "what's the point?". In my own education I have met people who have found my pursuit of a literature degree to be merely a pursuit in the ability to claim that I am well read. As an educator, it is my responsibility to show my students how Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet can reach them where they live. My WebQuest lesson plan covers both of these points.

By guiding students to think beyond the play of Romeo and Juliet and look at the relationship depicted in the play, I am helping the students to draw relevant correlations between dramatic love, which is often idealized inappropriately, and healthy dating relationships. This is what the goal is of the WebQuest Romeo and Juliet: True Love? I am asking students to think critically, work collaboratively, and to be creative beyond the normal scope of acting out a scene.

The technology involved in this lesson plan is equally important to the student. The utilization of preselected websites allows the students to focus on the material to aid them in avoiding the common pitfall of research: becoming overwhelmed. Furthermore, this application of technology is interactive and inspiring. To go even further, the students will be creating a video that will be posted on YouTube, thus engaging them in a medium that they are familiar and comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment