Friday, April 30, 2010

Professional Development Reflection

As an educator it is easy to become consumed with how to engage and teach your students. As a result, it is equally easy to forget how important it is to continue your own development as a professional. The world does not stop evolving when I graduate. Technology doesn't cease to improve. This means that if I am going to be able to reach my students in new and exciting ways it is important that I continue to learn in order to be able to teach.

What would our schools look like if every teacher only taught what they learned when they were in college? Considering many teachers don't retire until they're in their 60's, there would be generations of students who are still under the impression that the Cold War is still at the top of America's foreign policy agenda. Granted this is an extreme example, but it makes my point. If I fail to continue my education beyond graduation I would be doing a disservice to my students and to myself.

Knowing that there are numerous resources available for continued professional development makes me more confident in my life after graduation. Educational opportunities can be available, but without taking advantage of them, they are worthless. Being able to educate myself on the my continued professional development makes pursuing such abundant opportunities less daunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment